Gary L. Kellogg
Scientist, Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies
Science Thrust: Nanoscale Electronics & Mechanics
Mail Stop 1415
Sandia National Laboratories
Albuquerque, NM 87185
Education and Training
Undergraduate:, The Pennsylvania State University, Physics B. S.,1971
Graduate: The Pennsylvania State University, Physics, Ph.D, 1976
Gary’s research interests are focused on application of the low energy electron microscope (LEEM) to problems in surface and materials science. Specific areas of investigation include thin-film growth, surface and bulk transport processes, surface chemical reactions, surface phase transitions, self-assembly phenomena, and surface alloy formation. He is also exploring the application of the LEEM to the characterization of microelectronic device structures.
- Towards Wafer-Size Graphene Layers by Atmospheric Pressure Graphitization of Silicon Carbide, K.V. Emtsev, A. Bostwick, K. Horn, J. Jobst, G. L. Kellogg, L. Ley, J. L. McChesney, T. Ohta, S. A. Reshanov, J. Röhrl, E. Rotenberg, A. K. Schmid, D. Waldmann, H. B. Weber, and T. Seyller, Nature Materials8, 203 (2009).
- Palladium Diffusion into Bulk Copper via the Cu(100) Surface, E. Bussmann, J. Sun, K. Pohl and G. L. Kellogg, J. Physics: Condensed Matter21, 314016 (2009).
- Imaging Oxide-Covered Doped Si Structures using low energy electron microscopy, M. L. Anderson, C.Y. Nakakura, K.F. Saiz, G.L. Kellogg, in: E. Snoeck, R. Dunin-Borkowski, J. Verbeeck, U. Dahmen (Eds.),Quantitative Electron Microscopy for Materials Science, Warrendale, PA, 2008, pp. 1026-C15-03.
- Local Structural and Compositional Determination via Electron Scattering: Heterogeneous Cu(001)-Pd Surface Alloy, J. Sun, J. B. Hannon, G. L. Kellogg, and K. Pohl, Phys. Rev. B76, 205414 (2007).
- How Pb-overlayer islands move fast enough to self-assemble on Pb-Cu surface alloys, M. L. Anderson, N. C. Bartelt, P. J. Feibelman, B. S. Swartzentruber, and G. L. Kellogg, Phys. Rev. Lett.98, 096106 (2007).
- Origins of Nanoscale Heterogeneity in Ultra-thin Films, J. B. Hannon, J. Sun, K. Pohl, and G. L. Kellogg, Phys. Rev. Lett.96, 246103 (2006).
Selected User Projects:
- LEEM/PEEM Study of Nanodroplet Motion, Peter A. Bennett, Arizona State University
- Self-assembly of Epitaxial Silver Nanowires on Cu(110), Phillip T. Sprunger and Richard L. Kurtz, Louisiana State University