Scientist, Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies,
Science Thrust: Nanoscale Electronics & Mechanics
PO Box 5800, ms 1303
Sandia National Laboratories
Albuquerque, NM 87185
Education and Training
Undergraduate: University of Illinois B. S., 1991
Graduate: University of Massachusetts Amherst Ph D., 1996
Mike’s research interests are low dimensional electronics in semiconductor structures and devices. He is using the CINT electrical transport discovery platform to fabricate quantum dots and coupled electrometers for spin quantum computation in silicon structures. The goal is to isolate and manipulate single electron spins in electrostatically gated quantum dots or dot/donor devices in MOSFET-based silicon nanoelectronics. Other efforts include a variety of GaAs heterostructure experiment s on two-dimensional electrons, electron-hole bilayers, quantum wires and devices with integrated charge sensors. We use both low and high frequency transport techniques to probe the behavior of low dimensional electron systems at cryogenic temperatures.
- Charge sensing in enhancement mode double-top-gated metal-oxide-semiconductor quantum dots, E. P. Nordberg, H. L. Stalford, R. Young, G. A. T. Eyck, K. Eng, L. A. Tracy, K. D. Childs, J. R. Wendt, R. K. Grubbs, J. Stevens, M. P. Lilly, M. A. Eriksson and M. S. Carroll, Appl. Phys. Lett. 95, 202102 (2009).
- Enhancement-mode double-top-gated metal-oxide-semiconductor nanostructures with tunable lateral geometry, E. P. Nordberg, G. A. Ten Eyck, H. L. Stalford, R. P. Muller, R. W. Young, K. Eng, L. A. Tracy, K. D. Childs, J. R. Wendt, R. K. Grubbs, J. Stevens, M. P. Lilly, M. A. Eriksson and M. S. Carroll, Phys. Rev. B 80, 115331 (2009).
- Observation of percolation-induced two-dimensional metal-insulator transition in a Si MOSFET, L. A. Tracy, E. H. Hwang, K. Eng, G. A. Ten Eyck, E. P. Nordberg, K. Childs, M. S. Carroll, M. P. Lilly and S. Das Sarma, Phys. Rev. B 79, 235307 (2009).
- Density imbalance effect on the Coulomb drag upturn in an undoped electron-hole bilayer, C. P. Morath, J. A. Seamons, J. L. Reno and M. P. Lilly, Phys. Rev. B 79, 041305 (2009).
- Layer interdependence of transport in an undoped electron-hole bilayer, C. P. Morath, J. A. Seamons, J. L. Reno and M. P. Lilly, Phys. Rev. B 78, 115318 (2008).
- Tunneling spectroscopy in vertically coupled quantum wires, E. Bielejec, J. L. Reno, S. K. Lyo and M. P. Lilly, Solid State Commun. 147, 79 (2008).
Selected User Projects:
- Measuring single electrons on the surface of liquid helium, Steve Lyon, Princeton University
- Quantum Electronics in GaAs/AlGaAs by Means of Resistive NMR and Scanned Probe Imaging, Guillaume Gervais, McGill University
- Gate control of spin polarization wave in semiconductor quantum wells, Joe Orenstein, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory