John L. Reno
Scientist, Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies
Science Thrust:Nanoscale Electronics & Mechanics
Org. 11132, MS 1303
Sandia National Laboratories
Education and Training
Undergraduate: Wheaton College, Physics & Math, B.S., 1978
Graduate: Northern Illinois University, Applied Mathematics M.S., 1982
Graduate: University of Illinois at Chicago, Physics M.S., 1984
Graduate: University of Illinois at Chicago, Physics Ph.D., 1987
John has been using Molecular Beam Epitaxy to grow a wide range of materials and devices for over 25 years. His present areas of interest are As-based III-V materials for research on intersubband transitions and high purity growth high mobility heterostructures. Research includes quantum cascade lasers (QCL) in the THz and IR range, quantum well infrared photodetectors (QWIP), and high mobility materials for quantum transport studies.
- Yang, L., Koralek, J. D., Orenstein, J., Tibbetts, D. R., Reno, J. L., Lilly, M. P., Doppler velocimetry of spin propagation in a two-dimensional electron gas, Nature Physics, 8 (2), February 2012.
- Ren, Y., Hovenier, J.N., Cui, M., Hayton, D.J., Gao, J.R., Klapwijk, T.M., Shi, S.C., Kao, T-Y., Hu, Q., Reno, J. L., Frequency locking of single-mode 3.5-THz quantum cascade lasers using a gas cell, Applied Physics Letters, Jan. 23, 2012.
- Cellek, O. O., Reno, J. L., Zhang, Y.-H., Optically-addressed near and long-wave infrared multiband photodetectors, Applied Physics Letters, June 11, 2012.
- Yang, L., Koralek, J. D., Orenstein, J., Tibbetts, D. R., Reno, J. L., Lilly, M. P., Measurement of Electron-Hole Friction in an n-Doped GaAs/AlGaAs Quantum Well Using Optical Transient Grating Spectroscopy, Phys Rev Letters 106, 247401, 2011.
- Kumar, S., C. W. I. Chan, Q. Hu, J. L. Reno, A 1:8 THz quantum-cascade laser operating up to 163 K; significantly breaking the ħω/kB temperature barrier, Nature Physics,7, 166, February 2011.
- Song, J. W., Aizin, G. R., Mikalopas, J., Kawano, Y., Ishibashi, K., Aoki, N., Reno, J. L., Ochiai, Y., Bird, J. P., Bolometric terahertz detection in pinched-off quantum point contacts, Applied Physics Letters, 97, (8) Aug. 23, 2010.
Selected User Projects
- Quantum Phenomena in One-Dimensional Systems, Jon Bird, SUNY Buffalo
- Terahertz Quantum Cascade Lasers for Security and Military Applications, Qing Hu, MIT
- Coherent Cyclotron Resonance Spectroscopy of Semiconductor Nanostructures, Junichiro Kono, Rice University