Thrust Leader, Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies
Science Thrust: Nanoscale Electronics and Mechanics
MPA-CINT, MS K771
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos, NM 87545
Education and Training
Undergraduate: Xian Jiaotong Univ., China, Electronic Eng., B.S., 1982
Other: Xian Jiaotong Univ., China, Electronic Eng., M.S. 1985
Graduate: State Univ. of New York at Buffalo, Electrical & Computer Eng., Ph.D., 1991
Quanxi is currently working in the following areas: synthesis and study of structure-property relationships of nanostructured materials, multifunctional materials, and thin films; development of novel deposition techniques for the growth of electronic materials; as well as development and fabrication of high-temperature superconducting films, novel solid-state microelectronic/electro-optic devices, and semiconductor/energy materials and devices.
- Thick lead-free ferroelectric films with high Curie temperatures through nanocomposite-induced strain, S. A. Harrington, J. Zhai, S. Denev, V. Gopalan, H. Wang, Z. Bi, S. A. T. Redfern, S. H. Baek, C. W. Bark, C. B. Eom, Q. X. Jia, M. E. Vickers, and J. L. MacManus-Driscoll, Nat. Nanotechnology 6, 491 (2011).
- Highly aligned carbon nanotube forests coated by superconducting NbC, G. Zou, H. Luo, S. Baily, Y. Zhang, N. Haberkorn, J. Xiong, E. Bauer, T. McCleskey, A. Burrell, L. Civale, Y. T. Zhu, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll, and Q. X. Jia, Nat. Commun. 2, 248 (2011).
- Facile chemical solution deposition of high-mobility epitaxial germanium films on silicon,G. Zou, H. Luo, F. Ronning, B. Sun, T. M. McCleskey, A. K. Burrell, E. Bauer, and Q. X. Jia, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 49, 1782 (2010).
- Electrochromatic Carbon Nanotube/Polydiacetylene Nanocomposite Fibers, H. Peng, X. M. Sun, F. J. Cai, X. Chen, G. P. Liao, D. Y. Chen, Q. W. Li, Y. F. Lu, Y. T. Zhu, and Q. X. Jia, Nat. Nanotechnology 4, 738 (2009).
- Spontaneous ordering, strain control and manipulation in vertical nanocomposite heteroepitaxial films, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll, P. Zerrer, H. Wang, H. Yang, J. Yoon, S. R. Foltyn, M. G. Blamire, and Q. X. Jia, Nat. Mater. 7, 314 (2008).
- Materials science challenges for high-temperature superconducting wire, S. R. Foltyn, L. Civale, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll, Q. X. Jia, B. Moirov, H. Wang, and M. Maley, Nat. Mater. 6, 631 (2007).
Selected User Projects
- Nancomposite Heteroepitaxial Films with Enhanced (Multi)Functionality, Judith Driscoll, University of Cambridge
- Role of Layer-Interfaces and Grain Boundaries on the Properties of Nano-structured Nitride Thin Films, Haiyan Wang, Texas A&M Univ.
- Vortex physics in superconductors with nano-engineered core and magnetic pinning landscapes, Leonardo Civale, Los Alamos National Laboratory