Scientist, Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies,
Science Thrust: Soft and Biological Nanomaterials
P.O. Box 5800, MS 1303
Sandia National Laboratories
Albuquerque, NM 87185
Education and Training
Undergraduate: Brigham Young University, B.S. Chemistry , 2001
Graduate: Penn State, Ph.D. Chemistry, 2006
Understanding interfacial issues is critical for developing and integrating useful nanotechnologies. My research focuses on the integration of natural and synthetic functional molecules into biomimetic materials at interfaces. In order to put molecular machines and other emerging nanotechnologies to work, we need to develop ways of incorporating them into devices and then making sure they are doing what we think they are doing. To this end, I am developing new strategies for efficient integration of functional molecules, including transmembrane transport proteins, and the means to characterize the action of these exotic molecules at interfaces. This work involves (1) the chemical functionalization of solid supports by a variety of means including soft lithography and scanning probe lithography, (2) the synthesis of small organic molecules and monomers, and (3) the preparation, characterization, and modification of amphiphilic block copolymers.
- Microcontact Click-Printing for the Templation of Ultrathin Films of Metal-Organic Frameworks, Gassensmith, J. J.; Erne, P. M.; Paxton, W. F.; Valente, C.; Stoddart, J. F. Langmuir, 2010, ASAP.
- Heterogeneous Catalysis of a Copper-Coated Atomic Force Microscopy Tip for Direct-Write Click Chemistry, Paxton, W. F.; Spruell, J. M.; Stoddart, J. F. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 6692–6694.
- Molecular, Supramolecular, and Macromolecular Motors and Artificial Muscles, Li, D.; Paxton, W. F.; Baughman, R. H.; Huang, T. J.; Stoddart, J. F.; Weiss, P. S. MRS Bulletin, 2009, 34, 671–681.
- Accelerated Analyte Uptake on Single Beads in Microliter-Scale Batch Separations Using Acoustic Streaming, Paxton, W. F.; O’Hara, M. J.; Peper, S. M.; Petersen, S. L.; Grate, J. W. Anal. Chem. 2008, 80, 4070–4077.
- Catalytic Movement of Nanoscale Objects, Paxton, W. F.; Sen, A.; Mallouk, T. E. Chem.-Eur. J. 2005, 11, 6462–6470.
- Autonomous Movement of Striped Nanorods, Paxton, W. F.; Kistler, K. C.; Olmeda, C. C.; Sen, A.; St. Angelo, S. K.; Cao, Y.; Mallouk, T. E.; Lammert, P. E.; Crespi, V. H. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2004, 126, 13424-13431.