Stephen K. Doorn
Science Partner Leader, Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies
Science Thrust: Nanophotonics and Optical Nanomaterials
MPA-CINT, MS K771
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos, NM 87545
Education and Training
Undergraduate: University of Wisconsin, Chemistry, B.S. 1985
Graduate: Northwestern, Physical Chemistry, M.S. 1986
Graduate: Northwestern, Physical Chemistry, Ph.D. 1990
Steve's research interests encompass fundamental behaviors and applications of carbon nanomaterials and plasmonic nanoparticles. In the area of carbon nanotubes and graphene his interests include applying optical spectroscopies, with an emphasis on ensemble and single-tube Raman, for exploring electronic structure and optical response. Raman and photoluminescence spectroscopy are also applied to understanding non-covalent functionalization and molecular structure and interactions at carbon nanotube surfaces, with applications in optical sensing and nanotube separations. Energy and electron transfer processes in isolated and interacting nanotube assemblies are also being studied. In the area of plasmonic nanoparticles, his team is developing surface enhance Raman (SERS) active nanoparticle tags flow-based approaches to bioanalytical problems. Interests also include flow-based nanoparticle spectroscopic characterization and studying the interactions of plasmonic nanoparticle assemblies.
- Enrichment of Armchair Carbon Nanotubes via Density Gradient Ultracentrifugation: Raman Evidence, E.H., Haroz; W.D. Rice; B.Y. Lu; R.H. Hauge; S. Ghosh; R.B. Weisman; S.K. Doorn; J. Kono, ACS Nano, available online, DOI: 10.1021/nn901908n, (2010).
- High Resolution Analysis of Individual Surface-Enhanced Raman-Active Nanoparticle Spectral Tags in Flow, G. Goddard; L.O. Brown; R. Habbersett; C.I. Brady; J.C. Martin; S.W. Graves; J.P. Freyer; S.K. Doorn, J. Am. Chem. Soc., available online, DOI: 10.1021/ja909850s (2010).
- Kohn Anomaly Near the Dirac Point of Bilayer Graphene, D.L. Mafra; L.M. Malard; S.K. Doorn; H. Htoon; J. Nilsson; A.H. Castro Neto; M.A. Pimenta, Phys. Rev. B, 80, 241414(R) (2009).
- Self-Assembly Approach to Multiplexed SERS Encoder Beads, C.I. Brady; N.H. Mack; L.O. Brown; S.K. Doorn, Anal. Chem., 81, 7181(2009).
- Electrolyte Tuning of Surfactant Interfacial Behavior for Enhanced Density-Based Separations of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes, S. Niyogi; C.G. Densmore; S.K. Doorn, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 131, 1144 (2009).
- Excitons and Exciton-Phonon Coupling in Metallic Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes: Resonance Raman Spectroscopy, S.K. Doorn; P.T. Araujo; K. Hata; A. Jorio, Phys. Rev. B, 78, 165408 (2008).
Selected User Projects